Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Review: Crazy Jack by Donna Jo Napoli


At first I didn't realized that this story was a retelling of the popular Jack and the Beanstalk. Although I have seen a few similarities already, I was only sure of it when it came to the part where Jack planted bean seeds and it grew overnight.

More or less, the story has got the same plot as Jack and the Beanstalk, but with a twist. I like Jack's character in the story. Even though people called him crazy and all those foul names, he didn't care. Flora, who was his love interest in the story has also forsaken him already, but he did not lose hope. His faith and belief has captured me, I want to be like him too. 

Towards the end of the story, I almost cried because of Jack's selfless love for Flora. He did not mind when Flora keeps saying bad things to him, when she left him and choose another man instead of him. I am somewhat like Jack in a way, willing to give anything and everything to the person I love if it would make him happy, even though his happiness would not include me in it.

For Flora's character, I don't know why she kept hiding his true feelings for Jack. I think she's just afraid of what others will say about her if she continues to be with Jack. Though I'm sure of her feelings for Jack, but why be like that? She has hurt Jack but he still does not mind for as long as Flora is happy.

Overall, I love the story. It does not only focus on the adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk, but there are many more stories and faces that this book has shown. For one, poverty and not giving up on your dreams is something that I really admired about the lead character. I think this book teaches us lessons in life that can be applied to our reality today.

No comments:

Post a Comment